The 2012 World Endurance Championship (WEC) Calendar was unveiled to the public at a press conference today at Zhuhai, China. The newly formed world championship for endurance racing will be comprised of eight rounds, and they are as follows:
- 17 March 2012 - 12 Hours of Sebring (Sebring Raceway, USA)
- 2 May 2012 - 6 Hours of Spa (Spa Francorchamps, Belgium)
- 3 June 2012 - LeMans Testing (LeMans, France)
- 16 / 17 June 2012 - 80th Running of the 24 Hours of LeMans (LeMans, France)
- 15 August 2012 - 6 Hours of Silverstone (Silverstone, UK)
- 16 September 2012 - 6 Hours of Sao Paolo (Brazil)
- 30 September 2012 - 6 Hours of Mount Fuji (Japan)
- 20 October 2012 - 6 Hours of Bahrain (Bahrain)
- 11 November 2012 - 6 Hours of TBA (China)
The formation of the WEC will effectively take over the short-lived Intercontinental LeMans Cup starting next year. A venue for the China round in November has yet to be chosen at the time of the announcement.
Meanwhile, Peugeot Sport continued to dominate the timesheets during free practice on Saturday. Sebastien Bourdais and Anthony Davidson took the baton of fastest lap time from teammates Franck Montagny and Stephane Sarrazin, clocking in at 1:22.397 around the Zhuhai circuit. The Saturday Free Practice session was prematurely concluded when the PTRS Racing Formula LeMans Prototype made contact on the front straight, bringing out the red flag and ending the session early.